Saint Joseph Hospital is part of SCL Health, a faith-based, nonprofit healthcare organization that focuses on person-centered care. Our 365-bed facility is one of the top-ranked hospitals in Denver. We are proud to extend the mission of SCL Health by providing care for the poor, the vulnerable, our communities and each other. Our deep community roots date back to 1873, making us one of the oldest hospitals in Colorado.
Works under close supervision to obtain blood samples used in diagnostic testing.
- Verifies patient’s identification and obtains specimens of patient blood for diagnostic testing by means of venipuncture or skin puncture methodology utilizing a syringe, lancet or other approved technique.
- Calms and reassures patients who are anxious or apprehensive about having blood specimen withdrawn; explains to patient why specimen is needed in order to elicit cooperation.
- Prepares blood samples obtained for diagnostic testing in laboratory by adding type and quantity of preservative or anti-coagulant specified for test procedures requested.
- Fixes blood specimen on glass slide by utilizing edge of another glass slide to smear a drop of blood across its surface for the purpose of microscopic examination by other personnel.
- Carries or otherwise forwards all blood specimens drawn to appropriate laboratory for analysis.
- Receives, accessions, and processes patient specimens (including centrifuging, making primary inoculations of media, preparing and staining of smears and/or plates, and operating semi and fully automated equipment).
- Records and transcribes laboratory test results from lab reports and worksheets into a permanent log. Routes laboratory reports to patient’s ward, as needed.
High School diploma or equivalent, required
Phlebotomy training, required
Six months of experience in blood-drawing techniques, preferred
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, required
One (1) year of experience in a hospital setting, preferred
Organization: Saint Joseph Hospital, Denver, CO
Primary Location: CO-Denver/Boulder/Surrounding Areas-Denver
Department: SJD-Specimen Procurem
Schedule: Per Diem/PRN
Shift: Variable Shift
Job Number: 18002794