Our centralized hospital pharmacy provides distribution services and some clinical services to patients throughout the hospital (inpatient, outpatient, and observation) including procedural areas. The main functions of the central pharmacy technicians and pharmacists include:
- Verification of medication orders
- IV admixture
- TPN review and admixture
- Restocking of automated dispensing cabinets
- Controlled substance security and control
- Unit dose cartfill
- Maintenance of pharmacy inventory
- Maintenance of anesthesia trays/carts and billing
- Drug information
In this position, the Pharmacy Technician (tech in training) is responsible for assisting the pharmacist with the distribution of appropriately prescribed drugs and quality pharmaceutical services for patients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Drug Distribution Activities
- Assists the pharmacist to ensure that medications are prepared accurately and distributed in a timely manner to prevent medication errors and provide quality medication management.
- Demonstrates knowledge of operational application of the departmental computer systems.
- Accurately fills unit dose carts, automated dispensing cabinets, outpatient prescriptions, and other medication orders under the supervision of the pharmacist.
- Participates in departmental workgroups to contribute to process improvements and strategic planning.
- Completes assigned audit tasks to maintain and improve quality pharmaceutical services.
- Assists in the training of pharmacy personnel and students.
- Completes training and education programs to maintain certification and to enhance knowledge and practice skills.
The information above is for summary purposes and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of essential functions.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Registration as a Pharmacy Technician in Training with Montana State Board of Pharmacy upon hire.
- Completion of approved national technician certification program within 18 months from registration as a Technician in Training.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically within a multi-functional team
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to successfully function in a fast paced, service oriented environment
- Experience in understanding and usage of computers as well as the ability to learn new applications relevant to the position