Works under close supervision to obtain blood samples used in diagnostic testing.
- Verifies patient’s identification and obtains specimens of patient blood for diagnostic testing by means of venipuncture or skin puncture methodology utilizing a syringe, lancet or other approved technique.
- Calms and reassures patients who are anxious or apprehensive about having blood specimen withdrawn; explains to patient why specimen is needed in order to elicit cooperation.
- Prepares blood samples obtained for diagnostic testing in laboratory by adding type and quantity of preservative or anti-coagulant specified for test procedures requested.
- Fixes blood specimen on glass slide by utilizing edge of another glass slide to smear a drop of blood across its surface for the purpose of microscopic examination by other personnel.
- Carries or otherwise forwards all blood specimens drawn to appropriate laboratory for analysis.
- Receives, accessions, and processes patient specimens (including centrifuging, making primary inoculations of media, preparing and staining of smears and/or plates, and operating semi and fully automated equipment).
- Records and transcribes laboratory test results from lab reports and worksheets into a permanent log. Routes laboratory reports to patient’s ward, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
· The information above is for summary purposes, and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of essential functions.
High School diploma or equivalent, required
Phlebotomy training, required
Six months of experience in blood-drawing techniques, preferred
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, required
One (1) year of experience in a hospital setting, preferred
Organization: St. Mary's Medical Center, Grand Junction, CO
Primary Location: CO-Grand Junction
Department: SMG-Blood Bank (Donor)
Shift: Day Shift
Job Number: 18001428