In this position, the Laboratory Assistant receives and processes smears, blood, body fluids, and other types of microbiology cultures along with assisting technical staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Environment of Care
- Answers the phone and assists customers
- Attends to incoming specimens and distributes specimens to appropriate areas and determines if specimen rejection is appropriate
- Maintains and updates reference manuals, procedure manuals, and other pertinent information related to sample handling
- Maintains stock levels, receives and organizes supplies.
- Maintains refrigerators, hoods and centrifuges and performs and retains documentation of such actions.
- Acts as a backup phlebotomist when needed or assigned
- Places a variety of samples on analyzers with Medical Technologist supervision
- Sets bacteria cultures to proper media plates, makes Gram stains, sets up viral and fungal cultures and stains bacterial and viral slides
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically within a multi-functional team
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to successfully function in a fast paced, service oriented environment
- Experience in understanding and usage of computers, including the Microsoft Office Suite, as well as the ability to learn applications relevant to the position
- Proficient in drawing blood as a phlebotomist with previous clinical laboratory experience preffered.
Organization: St. Vincent Healthcare, Billings, MT
Primary Location: MT-Billings/Surrounding Areas-Billings
Department: SVB-Clinical Lab Services
Shift: Night Shift
Job Number: 18001080