Performs quality mammography and / or breast ultrasound if technologist has received training in this modality. Assists in both ultrasound and stereotactic biopsies as needed. Works in Collaboration with Lead Mammographer and physician leader to identify and drive quality and performance improvement initiatives. Collaborates with both internal and external healthcare team members to contribute to the plan of care of the patient. Practices radiation and patient safety by using the ALARA standards. May be requested to work shift other than normal assigned shift and overtime to accommodate business demand and coverage
- Promotes mission, vision, and values of SCL Health.
- Actively fulfills Best in the Nation goals.
- Validates physician order and then identifies appropriate means of acquiring exam ordered to ensure quality radiograph.
- Operates a variety of mammography and ultrasound equipment.
- Prepares exam room, communicates with patient, obtains informed consent, and requests an accurate clinical history as necessary for the exam.
- Reviews patient history and determines proper selection of protocols.
- Positions patients professionally and critiques films responsibly.
- Performs all screening and diagnostic exams including needle localization procedures.
- Performs breast ultrasound and all biopsy procedures as determined by specific job requirement.
- Independently performs and completes routine examinations.
- Communicates with patients, families, healthcare team members, and physicians both in-person and via telephone.
- Maintains clean unit, work space, and patient’s environment per regulatory and hospital requirements.
- Documents in accordance with regulatory, hospital, and unit guidelines.
- Organizational and prioritization skills.
- Proficient key boarding and computer skills.
- Handling of patient biomedical equipment.
- Receives delegation from the Radiologist.
- Act as preceptor for radiology students.
- Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department/unit team inter- and interdepartmentally to facilitate that department’s/unit’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
Required: As required for registry eligibility.
American Registry of Radiologic Technologist (ARRT) (R), required
American Registry of Radiologic Technologist Mammography Certification ARRT (M) required
Basic Cardiac Life Support required
ARRT(R)(M)(BS) Active Registration without restriction
Mammography experience preferred
Knowledge of ACR Standards required
Knowledge of MQSA standards required
Knowledge of radiation protection required