In this position, the Coder II is responsible for coding of medical services, posting of charges and payments, assisting patients with account questions, acting as a coding resource to others and other billing and claim processing services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Billing and Claims Processing
- Posts charges to patient accounts, prepares, verifies, and sends electronic and paper claims to third party payers, researches incomplete, incorrect, or outstanding claims and submits claims with knowledge of all insurance plans and contractual arrangements affecting payments
- Investigates and resolves claims submission problems with third party payers and reviews new and existing third party claims processing information
- Posts payments and adjustments to patient accounts, verifies and balances cash and receipts and prepares regular deposits and processes refunds to payers or patients in a timely manner.
Credit and Collections
- Identifies accounts with unpaid balances over set number of days and performs regular in-house collection calls according to protocols.
- Prepares collection assignment information for manager and provider review and sends approved accounts to outside collection agency
- Processes bankruptcy notices and addresses corrections.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum three years of business office experience in a healthcare setting including billing and claims processing, insurance and CPT and ICD-10 coding
- Minimum one year experience in a coding position for physician services with demonstrated knowledge of CPT/HCPCS Procedural Coding and ICD10 diagnostic coding
- Current certification as CPC (Certified Procedural Coder) or CCS-P (certified Coding Specialist-Physician Based)
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically within a multi-functional team
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to successfully function in a fast paced, service oriented environment
- Experience in understanding and usage of computers, including the Microsoft Office Suite, as well as the ability to learn applications relevant to the position; Knowledge of IDX or other billing/collections software is desired
Organization: St. Vincent Healthcare, Billings, MT
Primary Location: MT-Billings/Surrounding Areas-Billings
Shift: Day Shift
Job Number: 18000320