This is a PRN position located at St. Vincent Hospital in Billings, MT
In this position, the Registration Specialist is responsible for gathering pertinent information from patients/families and registering patients at admission. Demonstrates excellent customer service skills by providing a patient friendly and pleasant registration process to assure that patient and family needs are met in a timely manner. Responsible for accurate registration of patient, communication of St Vincent Healthcare policies, financial responsibilities and Patient Rights and Responsibilities according to departmental operating procedures. Ensures compliance with Joint Commission and EMTALA regulations and other regulatory agencies. Works under the supervision of the Patient Access Supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Greets all patients, families and guests in a welcoming and friendly manner.
- Maintains professional communication with patients, families and guests at all times.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information at all times.
- Demonstrates behaviors consistent with organizational mission and goals.
- Follows department and hospital policies and procedures
- Appropriately escorts patient to designated location
Registration and Admission Process
- Interviews patient and/or family to obtain current, accurate and complete registration information.
- Accurately performs patient registration, obtaining demographic and insurance information and completing Medicare MSP and ABN’s
- Initiates phone calls as needed to complete patient demographic information
- Completes appropriate paperwork with patient to ensure compliance with Medicare and Medicaid.
- Promptly reports issues to Registration Lead
- Responsible for obtaining and verifying insurance benefits prior to patient arrival in the case of scheduled procedures.
- Responsible for forwarding new insurance/employer information to person responsible for maintaining those master files.
- Refers patients to the Financial Counselor for any assistance options as well as providing information on Medicaid and charity care applications
- Follows established procedures for collection of co-payments at time of registration
Education, Experience and Licensure/Certification Requirements:
- Basic understanding and knowledge of Medical Terminology
- Demonstrated ability to type 35 wpm with 98% accuracy.
- Demonstrates a customer friendly attitude.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically within a multi-functional team
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience in understanding and usage of computers, including the Microsoft Office Suite, as well as the ability to learn applications relevant to the position