In this position, the Priest Chaplain serves as the primary minister of the Sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church and provides Spiritual Care to patients and their families and supports the Eucharistic Ministry Program and supports the Sacristan and volunteers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Direct Provision of Spiritual Care
- Ministers to the religious, spiritual, and emotional needs of patients, families and staff.
- Serves as the primary minister of the Sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church, including: Liturgical celebration, distribution of Eucharist, the Sacrament of Reconciliation, Anointing of the Sick, and emergency Baptism.
- Serves as first-call priest for urgent Sacramental requests day and night.
- Supports Eucharistic Ministry Program and willingly trains, schedules, and supports the lay ministers.
- Functions as member of interdisciplinary team(s) in assigned areas: identifies high risk situations, alert to developing needs, able to act as a resource in treatment decisions, especially as they relate to ethical issues;
- Provides training and support for the Chapel Sacristans and volunteers
- Serves as a liaison between the Spiritual Care Department, the Diocese and the regional Roman Catholic community. Routinely attends Vicariate meetings.
- Provides service and participates in Departmental and Hospital efforts to enhance the St. Vincent Catholic identity and mission.
- Ordination to the Roman Catholic Priesthood
- Letter of recommendation from bishop or religious superior
- Minimum of five years of experience in parish ministry or equivalent experience
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically within a multi-functional team
- Demonstrates ability to function as an active contributing member of an interdisciplinary team
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Stong people skills; ability to empathize with patients and families, ability to journey with people at the time of death and breavement, ability to respond to invidividuals and families in crisis daily.
- Experience in understanding and usage of computers as well as the ability to learn applications relevant to the position
- Must have a minimum of one unit of Clinical Pastoral Education
- Certified professional or one currently seeking certification, with the endorsement of the appropriate religious authority, having met the criteria for certification by a national certifying agency, e.g., The National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC), The American Association for Pastoral Counseling (AAPC), The Association of Professional Chaplains (APC) and The Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE).
Organization: St. Vincent Healthcare, Billings, MT
Primary Location: MT-Billings/Surrounding Areas-Billings
Department: SVB-Spiritual Care
Shift: Day Shift
Job Number: 17009459