Draws blood from patients in hospital and outside facilities for analysis or other medical purposes by performing the following duties. Inventories, orders supplies, distributes and prepares specimens being sent to reference labs. Receives patients and phone inquiries. Processes orders and specimens. Routes reports to appropriate destination by performing the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to access, manage and update patient medical records through Hospital Electronic Medical Record Information System.
- Assembles equipment such as tourniquet, needles, disposable containers for needles, blood collection devices, gauze, cotton, and alcohol on work tray according to requirements for specified tests or procedures.
- Identifies patient, labels, collects and transports specimens to laboratory according to established policies.
- Registers outpatient specimens in HIS utilizing ABN screening as necessary.
- Performs venipuncture, heel stick, fingersticks.
- Demonstrates practices to keep all medical information protected and confidential.
- Maintains supplies for laboratory through inventory control, preparing order and distribution.
- Prepares specimens that are sent out to reference laboratories.
- Accurately routes patient information per procedures.
- Coordinates specimen pickups for lab, both in-patient and out-patient.
- Provides, under direction of Laboratory Director, clinical orientation for new or less skilled personnel related to phlebotomy.
- Makes visits to designated areas for specimen collection.
- Demonstrates behaviors consistent with organizational mission and goals.
- Follows all applicable hospital policies and procedures.
- Participates in facility Performance Improvement/PI Program
- Follows policies and procedures for infection control and facility safety in accordance with regulatory guidelines.
- Follows "Patients Rights Policy" at all times.
- Demonstrates knowledge of information management as appropriate.
- Follows “Employee Commitment statement for Service Excellence”.
The information above is for summary purposes, and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of essential functions
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or GED; or 3-6 months related experience and/or training; or a combination of education and experience
- Typing, basic computer skills, and medical terminology required
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Phlebotomy Certification preferred
Organization: St. James Healthcare, Butte, MT
Primary Location: MT-Butte
Shift: Variable Shift
Job Number: 17009167