The Clinic Manager is responsible for overall management of daily operations of assigned clinic(s) in the Medical Practices Division. This includes hiring and supervision of personnel, budgeting and financial management, physician practice management, patient relations, and quality improvement. Other organizational responsibilities such as representation on various committees or special projects may be assigned to this individual.
This position reports to a Director of Practice Operations and works collaboratively with physicians, providers, staff, MPD and hospital resources to assure quality health care and service for all customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Explores information for decision-making and defines issues clearly despite incomplete or ambiguous information, integrating different ideas and perspectives
- Emphasizes long-term versus short term solutions to problems that arise, using a structured problem solving approach to correct the root cause of a problem
- Provides necessary resources/cooperation so that innovative solutions can be implemented.
- Identifies decisions that can be made alone and which need consultation with others and makes timely decisions, minimizing emotional and impulsive decisions and crisis management.
- Anticipates potential problems and implements preventive measures before problems occur.
Leadership Communication and Skills
- Identifies various constituents and develops appropriate communication approaches, suspending judgment until all points of view are fully explained and understood.
- Establishes effective communication channels for all people involved in a given project or activity for maximum accountability and gives specific, constructive and frequent feedback to direct reports.
- Supports, provides, clarifies, and ensures adherence to SVH, and departmental direction and policies and incorporates department within the strategic goals of St Vincent Healthcare.
- Encourages and uses positive human resource practices throughout the clinic(s), including: mentoring, using performance management techniques - setting objectives, providing feedback, evaluating results, defining roles and responsibilities with direct reports, training and developing staff, using coaching/counseling to improve or sustain performance and making effective hiring, promotion, transfer, disciplinary, and termination decisions
- Effectively directs his/her group through change management processes and facilitates groups to achieve desired results reflecting the group's ideas and input
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the healthcare environment and keeps current on industry developments, including the Catholic healthcare ministry.
- Combines ethical judgment with technical skills within the policy and legal guidelines of the institution; understands the legal, social, economic and political forces which influence the health care system.
- Effectively uses financial information for strategic and operational decision making and participates in the preparation of annual budgets for capital equipment, personnel, supplies, and other departmental costs
- Respects and appreciates individual differences in perspective and background; recognizes others as individuals by showing respect for their beliefs/values and treating them with fairness and understanding.
- Understands the organization's mission, vision, values, and strategies and how they shape the organization and integrates the mission, vision and values into departmental activities and uses them as a guide in decision-making.
- Understands how the organization operates and evaluates the impact of his/her decisions on other work teams, promoting teamwork across the organization
Human Resource Management
- Develops and implements overall cost effective staffing plans, schedules staff appropriately, adjusts staff according to volumes, assists other sites with relief staff coverage.
- Effectively interviews, hires and orients qualified new employees to the site. Completes employee performance reviews at appropriate intervals by the due date, monitors and provides constructive, objective verbal and written feedback to employees regarding performance.
- Addresses personnel issues by utilizing established organizational policy and procedure. Ensures that staff function within legal boundaries and guidelines for their particular role; ensures that current staff licensure is maintained.
- Plans and conducts regular clinic staff meetings, appropriately sharing information.
- Maintains accurate and up to date reports on provider/physician CME funds.
- Collaborates with the physician site leader to support efforts of the site in the recruitment, development and retention of physicians and mid-level providers.
Budget and Financial Management
- Projects and monitors revenue at the site and explores and implements opportunities for productivity enhancements; understands and reports variances between actual and budgeted revenue on a monthly basis.
- Works collaboratively with MPD leadership team to develop and implement long range financial goals, annual operating and capital budgets meeting designated time lines.
- Assess need for new or replacement equipment or facility improvements and prepares required documentation.
- Influences physicians and staff to use resources efficiently, manages inventories and maximizes efficiencies in purchasing supplies and equipment.
- Manages the proper handling of cash in the practice including co-payment collection and petty cash; enforces strict policies of security, receipts and daily balance logs.
Bachelor’s degree; or the equivalent in education and work experience. Exceptional analytical, problem solving, leadership and supervisory skills. Strong oral and written communication skills. Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets and use of computers. Valid drivers license, proof of insurability and a clean driving record (MT or WY dependent upon clinic site) Current CPR and AED certification within three months of hire. (site specific) Ability to successfully function in a fast paced, service oriented environment Experience in understanding and usage of computers, including the Microsoft Office Suite, and ability to learn applications relevant to the position
- Understands all systems and processes in the clinic including appointment scheduling, registration, medical records, transcription, billing, nursing and other direct patient care services; provides leadership and direction in resolving operational issues.
- Assists staff to further develop practice efficiencies and effectiveness. Maintains up to date knowledge of local, state and federal regulations that affect medical practices
- Leads the site in the establishment of safety, fire, emergency and disaster programs to ensure the safe care of patients, personnel and visitors. Conducts and documents required drills.
- Successfully implements JCAHO standards in the clinic setting, maintains current policy and procedure manuals. Monitors and evaluates key processes in order to identify opportunities for improvement; demonstrates by example.
- Educates staff and physicians on a regular basis on regulatory, safety and quality improvement standards. Provides tools for staff and physicians to effectively and efficiently integrate standards in daily work routines.
- Ensure the clinic facilities are maintained for cleanliness and safety coordinates