Unit DescriptionCare Site Description
St. James Healthcare is part of SCL Health System, a faith-based, nonprofit health care organization.
Interested in making a difference? Then check us out. Our rich heritage and mission, and our focus on health care delivery that values person-centered care, excellence and accountability are a winning combination as we bring health – and hope – to our patients.Fast Facts
Services & Expertise:
- Butte, Mont. (estab. 1881)
- The only full-service acute care facility in Butte and largest hospital serving a seven-county area
- 567 associates, 65 medical staff
- 98 beds (56 are staffed)
- 24/7 Emergency Medical Services
- Cardiac Services
- Inpatient & Outpatient Surgery
- Oncology Services
- Orthopedic Center of Excellence
- Women’s & Children Services
- St. James Medical Group
St. James Healthcare provides quality care close to home for the communities that we serve, especially the poor and vulnerable.
Visit: www.stjameshealthcare.org Description
The Vice President, Chief Medical Officer (CMO) role is part time and will be split with approximately two days in clinical practice. The CMO is accountable for working with the St. James Healthcare Staff to ensure that the highest quality of medical care is provided to our patients. As a member of the senior leadership team, the CMO will provide oversight and ensure productive relationships with the medical staff, assure clinical excellence, help provide leadership in planning and executing the hospital’s strategic plan, assure financial success, maintain accreditation/regulatory compliance, and promote a positive organizational work environment consistent with the mission and vision of St. James and SCL Health.
The cornerstone of this role is the development of meaningful relationships and on-going dialogue and communication with leaders and other members of the hospital medical staff, work in collaboration the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) and their leaders to improve clinical outcomes; the ultimate result being the achievement of the “ideal patient experience” as evidenced by CMS quality and patient satisfaction scores, coupled with providing an engaging environment for all clinicians to practice medicine and provide care.
The CMO will be visible in the community through participation in community organizations and events, collaboration with other health care providers and agencies, and be seen as an able advocate for community health improvement.
The CMO will work closely with the St. Vincent CMO, System CMO and the other care site CMOs to advance clinical integration, leverage our skill and scale and to promote appropriate standardization and “systemness” of SCL Health.
The CMO shall embody and value the “person-centered” mindset; ensure that the highest levels of patient safety, quality of care and evidence based medical standards are practiced at St. James Healthcare. Moreover, the CMO will promote an environment representative of the mission and values of the organization.
Working as a senior leader at St. James Healthcare, the CMO will strive to ensure that the organization continues on its journey toward top decile clinical excellence and patient safety and “systemness” and meets the strategic objectives set forth by the Board and executive leadership; critical to success in this role is the ability of the incumbent to: translate strategy into action plans; form close working relationships with the clinical and operations leaders within the care site; advocate for the use of the EMR and other clinical information systems; encourage benchmarking, sharing of best practices and collaboration among all clinicians; build momentum and excitement around physician engagement.
Specific responsibilities of this position will include:
- Medical Staff Liaison
- Clinical Quality, Patient Safety, and Service Excellence
- Utilization and Operations
- Strategic Planning and Development
Education and Experience: MD or DO degree and board certified in a specialty or primary care field. At least ten years in the practice of medicine and five (5) years in a leadership role within a complex hospital or health system setting. Demonstrated progressive responsibility, authority, and accountability in physician leadership positions and/or possess a graduate business /management degree are most desirable.
Skills and Attributes:
- Capable of proactively supporting the Mission of St. James Healthcare and exhibit a passion for non-profit health care and be a values-based individual who will uphold the Mission as evidenced by integrity, people sensitivity, respect for others, collaboration, willingness to share and teach others, a commitment to quality, and excellence in all endeavors.
- Relationship skills necessary to work with diverse constituents and specialties while demonstrating sensitivity to the culture and the health care needs of the care sites and local community.
- Knowledge of current health care trends in quality, safety, information technology, healthcare reform, finance/economics, physician alliance, regulatory compliance, and process improvement.
- Experience, enthusiasm, and energy to work within a large, complex health care system.
- Appreciation for matrix management and consensus decision-making.
- Understand the requirements of a person-centric culture with an unyielding commitment to customer service.
- Excellent listening skills with an effective written and oral communication style and a facilitator and promoter of dialogue.
- Known as an executive who is a facilitator of change using data and metrics.
- Known for high visibility leadership and a “walk around” and “visible, hands-on” style.